Monday, December 3, 2007

Simple fried fish in breadcrumbs

This is something I remember my grandma making. It’s great served hot, with chips, but it's also delicious cold the next day. I always make large quantities so there will be some left over for snacks or picnics. There was usually a large tupperware container of it in my grandma's fridge, which I would sometimes raid during the middle of the night, and the smell of it still transports me immediately back to her kitchen in Parkhill Road.



I can’t get haddock in my local market in Cadiz, so I usually use John Dory fillets, also known as St Pierre, supposedly because the mark on its side was made by Saint Peter’s thumb. The matzo meal is replaced with breadcrumbs.

Ingredients
500g of haddock fillets (or any other firm white fish)
Plain flour
½ teaspoon of salt
2 eggs
Breadcrumbs (or medium matzo meal)
Sunflower oil for frying

Method
  1. Cut the fillets in half, lengthwise.
  2. Coat the fillets in flour, then dip in the egg, then coat with breadcrumbs.
  3. In a large frying pan, heat plenty of sunflower oil (about 1 cm deep).
  4. Once the oil is fairly hot, place the breaded fillets in the oil. (You'll probably need do three or four batches.)
  5. Fry for a couple of minutes, until golden, then turn and fry for another minute or so.
Any fish which is not going to be eaten straight away should be left to cool on kitchen paper before being stored in the fridge. It keeps for a few days (if it lasts that long).