2 grey squirrels, quartered
500ml red wine
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
3 tinned tomatoes, roughly chopped
2 tbsps tomato puree
1/2 tsp salt
- Marinade the squirrel with the red wine and cloves overnight.
- The next day, fry the onion in plenty of olive oil, and when nearly done add the finely chopped garlic.
- Add the squirrel together with its marinading liquid, bring to a boil, turn to minimum and simmer gently for 2 hours, until the squirrel is very tender.
- Remove the squirrel from the pan, set aside and allow to cool.
- Meanwhile, add the tomatoes, tomato puree and salt to the pan, bring to a boil and simmer gently until you have a thick sauce.
- Remove the squirrel meat from the bone (it's easiest just to pick it off with your fingers), return to the pan and cook slowly for another 5 minutes. Season with freshly ground black pepper before serving.